The Betsy Ross House & Historic Philadelphia, Inc. present the 11th annual celebration of all things red, white, & blue!
Celebrate Flag Day in the birthplace of the Stars & Stripes with a week of fun festivities for the whole family at Flag Fest 2019! The fun begins on Sunday, June 9 and continues all week long with family-friendly programming every day through Saturday, June 15! The Betsy Ross House is open for tours from 10 am - 6 pm each day, and stays open until 8 pm on June 13 & June 14! See below for the schedule of special activities.
Photo by Albert Yee
Sunday, June 9
- 11 am - 1 pm - Federal Donuts 13-Star Flag Donut Wall- Take a bite out of the Stars & Stripes! Philadelphia favorite Federal Donuts kicks off the celebration with a flag donut wall made of "1776" donuts, specially created for the Betsy Ross House. Free with admission. While supplies last. Donut distribution at 1 p.m.
Monday, June 10
- 11 am - 4 pm - Colonial Chocolate Making- Meet 18th century female entrepreneurs and sample this all-American treat as it was consumed in colonial times. Presented by AMERICAN HERITAGE Chocolate. Free.
Tuesday, June 11
- 11 am - 1 pm - Meet George Washington- Meet the Father of our Country and ask him about his life and times. Free.
Wednesday, June 12
- 11 am - 1 pm - Breeches & Petticoats- This interactive program teaches the audience about dressing in colonial America. Free.
- 11 am - 1 pm - Illustration Workshop- This drop-in workshop is hosted by Philadelphia area artist Dori Desautel Broudy who will be illustrating works inspired by the colonial period. Focusing on clothing specific to that period, Dori and participants will create artwork honoring our nation’s rich heritage and Betsy Ross herself. Supplies will be provided. www.doridesautelbroudy.com. Free.
Thursday, June 13
- 11 am - 1 pm - Betsy's Flag Stories- Betsy Ross, herself, presents an interactive program on the history of the flag. Free.
Friday, June 14- Flag Day
- 10 am - 8 pm - A full day of festivities celebrates the flag at the City of Philadelphia's Official Flag Day Celebration. Meet the Flag Ladies from the Defense Logistics Agency, who stitch Presidential flags here in Philadelphia. Welcome America's newest citizens following a moving naturalization ceremony and enjoy free admission to the House, courtesy of Dr. Jeffrey Kenneth Kohn. Free.
Saturday, June 15- Stars & Stripes
- 10 am - 5 pm - This popular, daylong celebration is full of family-friendly entertainment and activity in the House's courtyard. Highlights include performances by the Give & Take Jugglers, the Colonial Kids Quest puppet show, the Magic of Ari Felber, the amazing Funicular Aerial Circus and more. Kids will love meeting Betsy Ross, playing old-time carnival games and hearing stories told by the award-winning Once Upon a Nation Storytellers. Free; games are pay-as-you-go.
Plan your group trip to Historic Philadelphia with unique experiences from the Betsy Ross House, Franklin Square, and Once Upon A Nation! From interactive Storytelling tours and Philadelphia-themed mini golf to performances by historic reenactors, it's all listed right here!